This blog should be re-named something along the lines of “House of Menig – how NOT to remodel a house”. In all seriousness though, we’re learning about two hundred and seven lessons a day. For example on how to whitewash wood floors.
I was uber excited about the Scandinavian look of whitewashed wooden floors I shared a few days ago. They’re so lush and gorgeous and really make a room feel and look extra beautiful. So I re-searched, found a few options on how to whitewash wood floors, picked one and bought supplies.
The options I found were:
- white pickling stain
- white soaping or liming
- mixing paint or primer with water
I chose to stain my floors and bought a gallon of this stuff over at Sherwin Williams. In perfect happiness I started brushing in the concoction. It went on bright and white! Perfect. Next, you have to rub it in with a cloth. The grain started to show quite a bit and the boards started to look really red. Hmmm. Lastly – because there’s this oily residue even after 2 days of drying time – I had to rub it in even harder. Yes, the wood had gotten a whitish/red tan, but it was not even close to where I wanted it to be. And, the oily film was still there.
What the heck did I get myself into!?
I had tested the stain in the laundry nook and still hopeful, I went up into the sewing/craft room to do a couple of test boards in the closet nook as well. Same thing. I was at the end of my wits and I felt a meltdown creeping up. I tried to cry – because tears always make things better. No tears came. So I laid on the beautifully sanded floors of my future craft room and just about wanted to give up. Give up on the stain, the floors and why not the entire house.
But then I had an idea. Why not test out the watered down paint technique! A moment later I had mixed up a cup of it and was testing it out on some leftover plywood. It worked! I tested out a few different ways of application and found the rubbing-it-in-with-a-cloth looked the best. I might have a winner after all!
So off I went back into the laundry nook and tested out this new whitewashing technique. It looked REALLY good! The next day I mixed up some more and did the floors in the craft room.
On my hands and knees I rubbed in the milky fluid, one board at a time. By the end of the day the floors looked gorgeous and my arm was just about to fall off. Stay tuned for Part 2 where I share some stories about the next step, the sealer!